Sonntag, 6. Februar 2011

Personal Opinion of Leaker3, Part II: Democracy and the legal system

This is Part II of my opinion and Wikileaks. THis time I am having a closer look on Democracy and the Legal system.

Democracy: In terms of exposing the wrongdoings of the ruling class (companies, institutions, the state and other parties whom influence others) Julian Assange and his group of whislteblowers perhaps invented a new institution. By institution I do not mean only WikiLeaks, but all the spin-offs which pop up nearly every week , who either deal with their regional problems or with a special topic. By skipping institutions which might hinder the exposing of crimes, these sites can reveal crimes where they have been swept under the carpet before. Especially in countries where dictators and their families reign without division of powers, whistleblower sites can play an important role in uncovering their wrongdoings.

Whistleblower as a part of the fourth pillar of division of power?

Effect of Wikileaks: very positive

Legal system: Is it allowed to steal material to disclose another crime? Germany for itself decided that it is right to do so when buying compact discs with documents disclosing tax evasion of some of its citizens. Personally I agree with this view point, even I cannot evaluate where does it lead to.

Effect of Wikileaks: rather negative

Legal system: Is it allowed to steal material to disclose another crime? Germany for itself decided that it is right to do so when buying compact discs with documents disclosing tax evasion of some of its citizens. Personally I agree with this view point, even I cannot evaluate where does it lead to.

Effect of Wikileaks: rather negative

In conclusion, I think that WikiLeaks as a synonymous for institutions which skip a system which might prohibit revelations of wrongdoings in companies, corrupt countries or misbeahviour such as the ones disclosed in Cablegate, changes the world in the long-run. If WikiLeaks and Julian Assange or another site will inhibit the leading role, or if the “market” is splitting up remains to be seen.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen